Glossy 24" iMac: Suitable for Design/Photography?

Started Aug 26, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maximuza
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?
Glossy 24" iMac: Suitable for Design/Photography?
Aug 26, 2007

I recently put one of the new 24" iMacs on order to use at home for my work as an upgrade to my PowerBook, which will be gifted to my significant other. While I am waiting for it to arrive, I read many posts online about the inadequacy of the new "glossy" screens for design/photography due to reflections and color inaccuracy. Now I feel discouraged about my soon-to-arrive purchase and wondering if any of you professionals, SPECIFICALLY who have used the new machines, have any thoughts on this.

Perhaps show me something you've processed on your glossy screen so I could evaluate it on my matte laptop (preferrably with blacks). As you'll see below, my work tends to be on the darker side as far as lighting:

I do photography and retouching as well as professional design for major entertainment and consumer brands and have everything I need at work studio, but would like a sound machine at my home studio for personal projects as well, such as the ones above. The new 24" was within my budget but I will not be able to to go any further price-wise at this time and I worry that because it was custom-configured (with a bit more RAM), Apple will not take it back, should I decide to return/exchange.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow