Started Aug 23, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bross1
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
The Sky is Falling! or "It's the End of the World As We Know It!"
Aug 23, 2007

Come on, now folks. I can't believe all the "I'm switching to Nikon TODAY!" posts going on here. They came out with a D300 that appears on paper to be a big improvement over the D200, and I'm certain it will be a fine camera, but it has its warts as well. For example, although it touts 6-8fps as well as 14 bit processing you don't get BOTH at the same time. When you want 6fps you have to go to 12bit - at 14bits you only get 2.5fps! The 40D gives you 14 bit in every mode, all the time - period.

The D3 certainly represents some improvements over the D2X, however the MP is still the same as the "regular" mode in the D2X. You do get the full 12MP in high speed now - a big improvement - however the full frame is not well suited to sports photography. I know I wouldn't like to give up the 1.3ish mag I get in my Mark III. And what about the new 1Ds Mark III? 21MP of 14bit smoothness - 70% more resolution, albeit at a price premium, but at least Canon gives you the product and lets you make the decision whether or not you can justify the cost (I can't but many can).

And the most important point we should all remember: these new cameras - Nikons and Canons alike - are all just a bunch of specifications on paper right now. These cameras are not available yet, so none of us know exactly how they will actually perform in the real world. It's a bit early to be making any sweeping statements about which company is ahead of the other at the moment, and it is definitely WAY TOO EARLY to be pulling the plug on your Canon gear with intentions of converting to a camera system we haven't even seen or handled.

Everyone take a few deep breaths, step away from the guardrails on the side of the ship, and remember that this competition is critical for all of us who want the very best products available to us - be we Canon or Nikon users. The better the Nikon products are the better the next Canon offerings will be and the sooner we will see them. If Nikon stayed two steps back Canon would be less pressured to release their best technology.

So let's all celebrate the fact that we all have fantastic cameras and lenses available to us. The only downside is that we don't have any excuses for not producing amazing images except our own limitations. We certainly can't blame it on our equipment these days.

Go out and open your shutter today, and let in some amazing light!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow