Started Aug 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Howard J Yune
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
POLL: Would you buy a full-frame Rebel?
Aug 21, 2007

I know I started a thread on this topic a long time ago, but the search engine is dead again, so I can't refer back to it.

Anyway... it's an open question how much it'll take for Canon to make full-size 35mm sensors at a significantly lower price than now. (The 5D, the cheaper of Canon's full-frame bodies, is currently $2,540 American when sold by B&H.)

But when Canon is able to push a plastic-bodied full-framer out the door for $1,000 or a bit less - a Rebel-class body - would you buy one instead of a crop-sensor camera in the same class? (For the sake of argument, let's assume this body had the 5D sensor, which presumably will have covered its fixed costs by then.)

Would it be more important for you to get true wide-angle without special lenses, or to get the free telephoto boost of a cropper? I find this a very interesting question, even if it might not come up for a few more years. (Though somehow, the day a people's full-frame arrives feels a bit... closer... than I thought before. 2010? 2012?)

Been a year and a half since I thought about this, so I'd be very glad to hear your views.

Thanks,
Howard

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow