ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Jarman
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?
G2 External strobe problem
Mar 28, 2002

Hi all,

i bought a G2 and an Ikelite housing to use in my diving. Everything finally got here, and i set it up to test it out last night. I am pretty sure that there is a problem with my new Ikelite DS125 strobe, but before I return it, I thought I would show you and get opinions as to wether there is anything in the camera settings that could be creating the problems I am having.

As background, the Ikelite housing/strobe works as a digital slave strobe. Basically, you block the front firing internal flash on the camera, and the DS125 with its sensor will mimic both the preflash and the full flash of the G2's internal flash. I know several people who use them, and they have great reputations as being accurate.

If you want more info, the link is:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/substrobe_dig125.html

Anyway, mine seems to function on 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 power, but not in Full or TTL modes when operating in AV or TV mode. In manual mode it seems to be functioning as it should, just dumping the power level I choose.

As a test, I shot one shot at each strobe power level inboth AV and Manual modes, the results are at

http://photos.yahoo.com/rkj674

Look under the folder labeled strobe test.

For these tests I changed nothing on the camera, only the strobe selection. I wasn;t trying to get a proper exposure per say, just trying to demonstrate the effect of the strobe at different settings. You can see pretty easily, it appears on Full and TTL settings the strobe is only firing a small preflash.

Any ideas for things I could try before I send it back?

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow