Best camera, absolute worst software......

Started Aug 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ken N
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
Best camera, absolute worst software......
Aug 17, 2007

Well, I got my Nikon D200, and I have to say that it takes the best photos I've seen to date. I've had more than my share of digital cameras over the last ten years, and the D200 can even do a good job on those tough landscape shots. My biggest complaint is the software. I've had Canon, Fuji, Sigma, Sony, Agfa, and even Nikon from my D70, and I've never had any problems with any of the software. However, that all changed when I got the D200.

Despite the statements proffered in the DPR review of the D200 software, I found the accompanying software to be the worst yet offered by anyone. I still haven't figured out how it works, and I've spent the last week trying to "import, export, transfer, and whatever" the photos. I haven't the vaguest idea how it works, and instead of being able to download the photos, look at the thumbnails, enlarge them, and do my processing as necessary, I have to hunt the photos down, try to find one, grab one, one at a time, and if I'm lucky, manage to drag it to the page that allows me to process it. Then, trying to save it turns out to be even more of a challenge. I've tried the transfer function, and it either tells me that there is no such location to transfer it to, or it goes through the motion of transferring it, and I may or may not find it in some ridiculous location that has nothing to do with anything. I won't even attempt to explain my experiences with the rest of this absurd software functions. I wond't even touch them yet for fear that I'll just get frustrated with the whole thing, delete Picture Project and send the camera back.

In a nutshell, it's a really great camera, but the software's just totally off-the-wall. Please Nikon, remember that you're making cameras for photographers and not for computer enthusiasts.

If anyone knows of better software for processing Nikon files (including the NEF files), please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Ken N.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow