Flat view
AAK
AAK
Forum ProPosts: 16,272
Like?
Nikon Quality
Aug 12, 2007

Warning: rant

I'm not a troll. I'm a professional photographer who's been using Nikon since the late 1960's, early 1970s. A Nikkormat was my first 'serious' camera as a teenager. And through all those years, I've come to associate quality with the Nikon brand.

No more.

When I switched to DSLR, of course, I went Nikon. And all went well until my D200s. The first one went back for 6 major system replacements (circuit boards, AF assembly, even a new shutter assembly). The second one went back with a defective lens mount that had to be replaced, and which apparently damaged my 70-200 f/2.8 VR which also had to be rebuilt (new mount, new motor).

My 18-200 VR, which I like for assignments like today's, was repaired two months ago because the creep had gotten so bad that the lens was no longer usable. Nikon agreed and replaced many parts.

It took five weeks.

Today, I'm shooting an outdoor assignment: a Latin Festival with four rotating bands and thousands of attendees.The 18-200 is perfect for gigs like that. I can shoot a closeup of a performer and then spin around, zoom to wide-angle and shoot the dancers behind me.

That is, until the damned lens fell apart. Won't zoom all the way to tele. Falls back about 1 1/2" in an uncontrolledslide when you go wide and lands with a bad clunk. No autofocus. In fact, no manual focus.

The lens is hosed. It's obviously gone off the rails.

And ruined my shoot. Try shooting several thousand people in an audience with a 70mm lens! So I'm using my backup camera for the wide and absolutely steaming about the obviously very badly deteriorated quality of Nikon equipment.

I'd switch to Canon tommorrow, because reliability is an absolute requirement in order for me to earn my living, but it seems like Canon is having more than its share of quality issues!

So, does ANYONE make a reliable camera any more? Or has Q/C just gone down the tubes across the entire industry?

Sorry to be so vehement, but my patience with Nikon is just about gone.

-- hide signature --

=~ AAK - http://www.aakatz.com
=~ Author of The White Paper
=~ http://www.aakatz.com/whitepaper

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow