What is your favourite lens cleaning gear?

Started Aug 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johnandjane New Member • Posts: 22
What is your favourite lens cleaning gear?

You know, desert dust, waterfall spray, (even fingerprints), or just camera bag dust need removing from time to time.

The reason I ask is that for years I have used ‘cheap n nasty’ Jessops fluid and tissues along with a hand blower/brush.

Although a couple of years ago I invested in more expensive PEC-PAD, eclipse fluid and eclipse sensor wipes as the value of my gear has increased.

I then bought a Teffan 77mm UV filter from B&H on holiday in new York, cleaned it and washed off the filter coating resulting in a black cleaning cloth and fingers.. Binned it and bought a Hoya one. Wrote it up to experience.

This year I cleaned the viewfinder of my Canon 350D and washed the black dye off that!

Now panic! Was I wrong to use eclipse on a viewfinder?

I also find the PEC-PAD “Ultra-soft, lint free photo wipes ” leave quite a lot lint behind.

So my real question is do you recommend using ‘cheap n nasty’ or more expensive cleaning gear?

johnandjane's gear list:johnandjane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow