What is your favourite lens cleaning gear?

Started Aug 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
johnandjane
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
What is your favourite lens cleaning gear?
Aug 12, 2007

You know, desert dust, waterfall spray, (even fingerprints), or just camera bag dust need removing from time to time.

The reason I ask is that for years I have used ‘cheap n nasty’ Jessops fluid and tissues along with a hand blower/brush.

Although a couple of years ago I invested in more expensive PEC-PAD, eclipse fluid and eclipse sensor wipes as the value of my gear has increased.

I then bought a Teffan 77mm UV filter from B&H on holiday in new York, cleaned it and washed off the filter coating resulting in a black cleaning cloth and fingers.. Binned it and bought a Hoya one. Wrote it up to experience.

This year I cleaned the viewfinder of my Canon 350D and washed the black dye off that!

Now panic! Was I wrong to use eclipse on a viewfinder?

I also find the PEC-PAD “Ultra-soft, lint free photo wipes ” leave quite a lot lint behind.

So my real question is do you recommend using ‘cheap n nasty’ or more expensive cleaning gear?

johnandjane's gear list:johnandjane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow