Started Aug 8, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,150Gear list
Like?
New iMac Glossy Display Comment
Aug 8, 2007

There has been a lot of speculation about the display on the new iMacs. I went to an Apple store today to check them out and compare them with the standard ACD monitors, and the MacBook Pro laptops. I set all of them to the same screen profile, and I put up a couple of desktop photos that are standard on Macs that have a lot of dynamic range. The one with the river rocks, and the one with the light pink flower petals. The glossy laptop screen was the worst of the bunch. Really blocked up the lower luminance values and if you tip it in any direction there are major changes in the perceived image. The ACD monitors were the best, but not by a lot. Actually, my impression was that the iMac monitor was indeed the same panel as the ACD, but with a glass window in front of it. The monitor surface is distinctly separate from the front glass plate. So it is like looking at the ACD through a thin glass window. The glossy surface of the laptop screen is integral. It is the bonded surface on the front of the display. The iMac display is slightly more contrasty than a matte ACD, but not as bad as the laptop display, and it doesn't change with tilting any more than the ACD does. So I would give it a thumb's up, but it still remains to be seen whether there are issues calibrating it with the puck having to read values through the glass. The overall design is spectacular! The new look is really great. I really like the thinner "chin" on the front, and the sort of "pewter" look to the Aluminum is much richer looking than the MacPro case or the MBP. I wish they would use this color on all their current AL cases. And I give the new keyboard a 5 out of 5! Only thing left to redesign is the mouse. White, bulbous might mouse looks odd next to the iMac.
--
Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow