Started Jul 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cityphotog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337
Like?
Sigma 15-30 is my winner on FF
Jul 22, 2007

after two months I made a decision about the wide zoom : Ive been testing a tamron 17-35 , then the canon 17-40 , the sigma 12-24 and the sigma 15-30 which is in my opinion still a little better than the three I mentioned before.
It gives a slightly better sharpness at the corners and at the center.

Bottom line there are no good wide zooms, and we must settle for the less "ugly" LOL

the 12-24 was miserable, for sure it was a bad copy but still it was pretty bad.

The Sigma is sharp and way better than the canon (17-40) at the corners, actually the entire area right off the center is better: plus, once I get the focus at a close subject it gets the infinity beautifully at f/8 already (and that was a real surprise, for me).

I had two canons (being the first backfocusing) but I can tell that the sigma is indeed better. I'm surprised that this (now old) lens didn't receive the deserved attentions.

In any case, I bought it at Cameta in Long Island (NY), and they sell it for $329 which is a great price. New, Sigma USA warranty.

AFAIK it's a lot of lens for that price.

the Cameta Camera Warehouse Facility, Amityville, Long Island, NY

15-30 very first shot on 1Ds (ugly shot and for that I apologize, but it was the first LOL)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow