Started Jul 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,875
Like?
1D-III shoots rodeo queen - no blood
Jul 21, 2007

One of the ladies who volunteers to do many things at Spruce Meadows for many jumping competitions is also a serious rodeo lady - among other things, likes barrel racing and some of the more difficult other aspects of the sport. She wants to run for a Miss Rodeo contest and needed photos, Fortunately, she grabbed me when I was running between jumping rings shooting the North American show at Spruce Meadows a couple of weeks ago.

Having never shot a "girl with a cowboy hat", I thought this was an excellent opportunity to try a different shooting style (Thanks for those that told me to do a search on the internet for rodeo ladies - most helpful....)

Here are four images that are representative of this delightful young lady. With any luck, I will be shooting a lot more of her - both in competition (tomorrow) at Longview as well as some more adventurous things. This girl is really serious about horses - just look at her fingernails in the last image She is not (yet) a model...

It is interesting how conservative the western cowboy is. Her images of choice for the contest (the first, in particular) are very restrained even though her personality is much more edgy as was her choice of "favorite images" after we looked at all shots.

By coincidence, I shot images of Ian Tyson at his ranch (he lives just south of this young lady's dad's ranch) - and his western conservative cowboy demeanor shows in the same was as for this young lady - however his "attitude with edge" is really in the quality of his music. He is, by all counts, an absolute gentleman -- just as this young woman is an extremely fine lady.

C&C welcome....

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow