Started Jul 18, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 43,326Gear list
Like?
Just got a G7 - impressions mixed
Jul 18, 2007

I got a G7 at work for a certain application. It'll do fine at that.

But it really seems like an inferior camera to my S3IS that I have at home. Several specifics:

• Bad ergonomics. No grip, play button where my thumb goes, way too much travel on the shutter release, viewfinder in a bad place (nose on LCD all the time), no direct movie button.

• Bad viewfinder. I swear the thing has less resolution than the lousy EVF on my S3! Yes, I've adjusted the diopter setting to optimal (several times).

• No tilt-swivel LCD. I hardly use the LCD and I like to keep it facing the camera. May not be much of a problem as the viewfinder is so bad I might actually use the LCD for framing.

• SD card in the battery door (bad idea - the S5 has it too, dumb).

• No optical zoom in movie mode.

Some things are good:

• IQ seems basically okay.

• Love the ISO wheel.

• Love the control wheel (the S3/S5 should have that).

• Hot shoe.

• ND filter (a good one - no color shift).

• Pocketable - the S3/S5 fits in a coat pocket, the G7 fits in basically any pocket.

Now that the S5 has a hot shoe, I'd only recommend the G7 to someone that wants a compact and wants it to be pocketable. The S3/S5 cameras seem better to me, with a faster lens, TTL viewfinder (even if it is a low-res EVF), better ergonomics, more lens range, T/S LCD, and optical zoom in movie mode.

Now, if they'd just add the good parts of the G7 to the S5 (ISO wheel, control dial), and put the SD card back under its own door, we'd have an S6!

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AminNew
russNew
LOLNew
gklNew
RussNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow