Started Jul 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonwondo
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
My Alpha story and a journey to the Canon darkside
Jul 13, 2007

I just wanted to share my story of owning the A100 and my journey down the Canon darkside. I pre-ordered the A100 when it first came out as a present for my wife. This was the first DSLR for both of us. We are very happy with it and even though it is a lot cheaper now, I don't regret buying it for $1000.00. We have taken 19,000 photos with it so far, and have even managed to sell 1 picture on a stock photography site for $400.00!

As you can imagine, my wife got tired of me 'borrowing' her camera all the time, and in certain situations sharing 1 camera is not ideal. I thought about buying a second A100, but decided to try out Canon to see what all the 'talk' is about. I purchased a Rebel XTi for $800.00 at Costco. Long story short, I did not like the Canon at all. It has better ISO performance, BUT I was forced to use ISO 800-1600 nearly all the time indoors due to lack of anti-shake and poor kit lens (I have the CZ 16-80 on the A100 as well as the 50mm 1.4). I purchased a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and it was so soft I exchanged it thinking it was defective. Well, the second copy was just as bad, no where near the sharpness of the Sony 50mm f/1.4, and don't get me started with the cheap build quality of that Canon prime. All these factors plus poor auto WB and a grip that made may hand hurt after 15 min. of use left me scratching my head as to what the big deal is with Canon (well at least the XTi). I'm starting to realize how powerful the Sony 50mm f/1.4 lens is with the body-stabilized A100. It is a combination you simply can't get with Canon/Nikon at any price. Ended up giving the Canon to my dad and he seems to like it but hasn't used the A100 much.

So, I'm now again waiting for Sony to release the next Alpha and will most likely pre-order it barring any insane pricing.

hmmm, I'm starting to sound like a Sony Fanboy....

-Jonas

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow