Started Jul 13, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HDClown
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
Researching A100 purchase for my father's 65th B'day
Jul 13, 2007

This November is my father's 65th B'day and the best gift I can think of is a dSLR. He was an avid film buff back in the day and now only uses P&S digital cams (although he has a DSC-V3 with a little more flexibility). He has a decent collection of Minolta lenses from back when he used film. I do not yet know what lenses he has, but will get that information soon. He says he'll get a dSLR body when "the next ones come out" so as the first gen A100 drops in price to $400 or below, but I'd like to beat him to the punch. He has 3 grandchilden (3 months, 9months, and 2 1/2) and he takes a TON of pictures and prints many of them. He will greatly benefit from better optics, which is why I think this is the prefect gift.

The main reason to look at the A100 over other cameras is because he has these lenses which, as I understand it, will all mount to the A100. The question is, will there be limitations beyond that? No ability to meter, no AF, other?

If we forget about the fact that he has existing lenses, what would be a good must-have lens for him that covers the ranges around 18-20mm up to 70-135mm'ish. Is there a 50/1.8 like Canon/Nikon offer in the $100 range? That would be a must have as well IMO.

Not looking for pricey pro glass, so a $500 limit needs to be considered. The DSC-V3 covers this range, so it's what he is used to having.

Lastly, is there any confirmed information about a replacement for the A100 over the next few months that might be available prior to my need to purchase in early November?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow