Started Jul 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sinwen
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Film is coming back...
Jul 7, 2007

I went to my photo dealer this morning after a long while I didn't visited him. I had no more E6 chemicals to treat my slides and as I am about to go for hollidays I decided to give him the few exposed rolls I have.

Then we started to chat.... and he confirmed our long past conversation we had when digital arise. I was telling him at that time that people will have no "souvenir" with digital and it exactly what is happening.

He has more and more customers who lose all their pictures due to hard disk and computer failures because "average Joe" do not make CD nor copy of any sort, it is too much restricting, they may do it once or twice but quit very fast.

I am living at a place where people come to spend their hollidays and he see a lot of them coming to him for card salvage, camera disfunctions who lose all their trip pictures and end up buying "shot & throw" film cameras.

As for DSRL owners it is even worst. Many tried to clean their sensor themselves and the camera go straight to the services department with a such a bill at the end they wonder what to do or they throw the towel.

He was saying that printing from digital is a good idea but there is no reprint possibility once the cards are flushed, then who is piling up the cards into a shoe box like we did for negatives !

My vision of this market is that people will play taking pictures with their cellphones which will replace P&S cameras very soon and they will be using film for decisive moments. The photograph hobbyists will stick to digital as professionals will do but the size of this market is small.

As for me, I have no digital camera yet and plan to get a tiny P&S to stick into my pocket just for the fun of it and immediate not important pictures to post over the internet. I never trusted electronics and never will, so I cannot concieve spending a lot of money into such gear. I will carry on film for what I consider of value.
Sure enough film won't be what it was before but it is on its way back.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow