Started May 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan
Forum ProPosts: 13,659
Like?
Re: Makes so much sense!
In reply to CraigRWC, Jun 27, 2007

CraigRWC wrote:

So I won't be too surprised if a modular system is the "big
surprise" you like to smile and nod about.

I'd be surprised. Everything I've heard about the next pro product is pretty much as expected in the evolutionary line from D1-> D1x-> D2x-> D3.

I only posted what I wrote long ago because it seems to have resurfaced in the casual rumor mill without any attribution. I haven't heard much about the modular approach for some time now and don't believe it is what we'll see next. Note also that going modular like that would make it even easier for folk like Fujifilm to do Nikon compatible products, potentially increasing competition in your own mount (note how Hasselblad is trying to lock up their back interface to only Hasselblad products). The high margin isn't in the base body parts (shutter, metering, focus system, etc.), but in the digital side (sensor, ADC, imaging ASIC, etc.), thus you don't want to sell lots of bodies and few backs.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
editor, Nikon DSLR Report

author, Complete Guides: D40/D40x, D50, D70s, D80, D100, D200, D1 series, D2 series
http://www.bythom.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThomNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow