Started Jun 25, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RiceHigh C
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Neutral or Faithful for 5D?
Jun 25, 2007

I use my 5D to shoot jpegs mostly and just wonder if I should choose Faithful or Neutral as the default Picture Style setting..

I have tried other Picture Styles and found that the contrast and/or saturation are just too much for me. And Phil is right if one want to keep highlights and maximize the DR, it would be better to choose either Faithful or Neutral.

After experimenting with my "new" 5D (have used over two weeks now), I also found that Phil is once again right for the sharpening level, which +2 is an appropriate "all round" setting. (I just wonder why he is usually right?)

So, now that I set my 5D Faithful and Neutral as +2, 0, 0, 0. However, I start to use Neutral more than Faithful as I found that actually Neutral does produce even more "faithful", natural and colour accurate images under various situations.

What do you think and what's your choice? I want the most natural looking images as close to my eyes can see as possible - the direct images from the Neutral setting is not that bad and requires PP and actually they do look quite good and colour accurate provided that +2 sharpening setting is applied (so that no USM PP is required afterwards).

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow