Started Jun 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
NY Times DSLR review!
Jun 21, 2007

......Today's NY Times has an article by David Pogue that describes and compares the features and capabilities of five $700-$800 'entry' level DSLR's.

............It's a nice description/comparison of the XTi, D40x, K10d, E-510 and Sony Alpha for those who aren't familiar with DSLR's but this guy gets very subjective and even silly with his recommendations.

....Pogue says that Sony has "electronics geniuses" who have invented some "gadgety treats" like the eyepiece AF feature for example......whew! He then sums up his love affair with the Alpha by saying that its images are "glorious and vivid". That's not what I've been reading for the past year. Noisy images maybe. Glorious?

......He also lauds the Alpha for having compatibility with 21 K-M lenses after critiquing the D40x earlier in the article for only being able to use the 25 AF-S and AF-I lenses that Nikon offers.

...His final recommendation is to buy the Alpha or Oly or Nikon. His take on the K10D is that it can't be used effectively by a DSLR novice to paraphrase. His dismissal of the XTi is that it has an uncomfortable grip and its output looks "washed out and muted". Say what you want about the Canon but washed and muted images is about as far off the mark as you can get. Read the DPR review and look at some XTi galleries at pbase.com.

.....This guy Pogue has no clue as far I'm concerned. Not to say that he isn't somewhat knowledgeable but his subjective and biased recommendations are ridiculous.

....Here's the link to this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/21/technology/21pogue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=business

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lolNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow