Started Jun 21, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Bossuyt
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Photographer Assistant Pay Rate etc..
Jun 21, 2007

What are the going day rates for different locales around the US in 2007? Especially, rates in smaller communities.

I am considering working as a photographer assistant part time on my days off from work: historically: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays. (Is this feasable?)

As I fear that.........

The assistant pay rate (or the volume of available work) will not be enough where I live to support myself doing this on a full time basis as I would need to maintain a minimum of around $180/day to meet my financial obligations.

As an example, I have noticed that Wedding Photography rates here in Tucson, AZ seem to be 25-50% of what most photographers charge around the country.

I am very knowledgeable about all of the various equipment used in the pro photography business. I have personally sold all of the product except for the hightest end MF Digital Backs and large format printers, having been in the retail side of the business off and on for over 25 years.

If I had the financial ability to relocate, I feel I would have little trouble being hired in a sales capacity by any of the famous name retail pro photo equipment companies that we all know and love. (or are in debt to!)

I just have very little practical experience setting up and/or USING that equipment on a daily basis "on the job" or "in the field" in a professional business capacity. Also, as you may have guessed, I am not in my 20's or 30's.

Also, I suppose I will be competing for work with a lot of people who have experience and resumes with college degrees in photography.

Two books are currently available about Photo Assisting. (I have started reading them) They seem out of date for a lot of things (and their copyright dates sure are!)

Armed with input here from this forum, I hope to have a better idea about what this type of work pays as I start to call on photographers here in my town.

Thanks much in advance for all replies.

Joe

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow