Started Jun 14, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OneCentRob
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Exposure problems
Jun 14, 2007

I seem to be having problems with the exposure on my 400D. I do not know if the problem is with my lack of understanding or the camera.

I shoot mostly in RAW in Av mode. Most shots seem to be a little under exposed, which I correct in DPP. However, now I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the Evaluative Metering. To me, it seems to be spot-metering, or at leat centre-weighted metered, in the evaluative metering mode. If I focus on a dark subject in a lighter scene the picture will be over exposed (see below); if I focus on a light subject in a darker scene the photo will be underexposed. (I generally use only the center focus point only, if that make a sifference.)

My understanding of the evaluative mode is that it is supposed to expose the whole scene correctly, not just the subject in focus, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am only a beginner. All I know if that if I shot the scene below on my p&s or my film SLR I would have been exposed correctly.

The following scene was shot in all three modes just to illustrate the issue:

1) The following was shot is in Evaluative metering mode:

2) The following was shot is in centre-weighted metering mode:

3) The following was shot is in partial metering mode:

Please let me know what you think about this issue, and whether you feel the problem is with the camera or with my lack of understanding.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Please ask if you need more info to make an assessment. I can post more examples if needed.

Rob

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow