ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Aperture sharpening settings
Jun 12, 2007

Hello,

I've been using Aperture for awhile now, but one thing I'm still not comfortable with is the sharpening settings. I'm coming from a Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop Unsharp Mask background and with those programs the effect of the sharpening is readily apparent. But the sharpening in Aperture seems much more subtle to me and I can't figure out when to use the regular sharpening slider, when to use edge sharpening and when/how much I should adjust the sharpening in raw fine tuning to create a preset.

Do any of you have preset settings you apply to every photo? In Capture NX I follow Jason Odell's recommendation of applying an unsharp mask setting of 50/5/5 to every photo and then tweaking that to best suit each photo, but I haven't been able to get a handle of what settings to apply in Aperture that equate to those trusty NX settings. I'm also unsure of what combination of regular sharpening and edge sharpening works best. Though I've experimented with a number of images, I still don't feel like I have a clue as to a good "starting" point.

Finally, what settings are you using for the raw fine tuning sharpening (as a preset)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow