Started Jun 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nrg_alpha
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?
My New D3x Concept Rendition
Jun 7, 2007

Let’s start out by getting a little information/history about me out of the way before we go any further.

I am a digital graphic artist coming from a decade-long run in the electronic gaming industry. I never worked for Nikon, nor am I some top secret tester having possession of any D3 prototypes.

The entire point of these 3d art pieces is to update my aging digital portfolio (currently in progress). Since I am into photography as well as 3d modeling and texturing, I decided that this would be a fun project to do; which is to fabricate a fictitious D3x concept, make it somewhat believable by incorporating existing elements that we can immediately associate with, yet have the flexibility to put my own interpretation on things as well. I wanted the end results to have a somewhat tight, clean illustrative conceptual look to them. I looked at some online images of the D2x/h (as I have a D200) and based my concept (somewhat) on this premise (mixing D2x/h and D200 aspects). I built the base 3d camera model from scratch using Softimage XSI and post production was done to the rendered images in Photoshop.

This piece may not be technically/mechanically/proportionally correct, nor do I care I am not an industrial designer or mechanical engineer, so my apologies in advance for any ‘inaccuracies’. I just wanted to convey my design ideologies across in a nice and neat manner. I skimmed off adding any lens barrel markings, as the lens is not the focus of this exercise, the body is (why is it that whenever I use the word ‘focus’ in a photography forum, I feel like I am using a pun?).

So without any further ado, here is my D3x concept rendition in two alternative front view angles (I have not designed the sides or the backing as of this writing):

There are clearly some immediate and jarring differences which seperate current D2 models from my D3x concept. Most peculiar is the removal of the typical shutter buttons. Replacing them are multi-directional ‘shutter triggers’. These shutter triggers offer two directions in which to snap a shot. One can either push down on the top of the trigger (which would be the most common way), or one can push the trigger in from the front. This becomes useful when holding the camera in an awkward position which may be unnatural or less comfortable on the photographer’s hand when trying to take a picture while holding the camera conventionally. Offering the ability to ‘pinch’ the trigger using the thumb and index finger could prove useful in some situations (but admittedly, perhaps not in most).

The angled back of the top shutter trigger is where the unit’s power is accessed. Pushing down on the power aspect of the trigger offers two levels of sensitivity (much like current shutter buttons) Pushing the power halfway down disables the back lighting LED on the top screen to conserve battery power. Pushing down all the way shuts off the unit entirely.

The top screen is a high-resolution colour QVGA liquid crystal display screen which is white LED back lit (think ipod screen) displaying a wide array of features and information. I didn’t go into too much details here. I simply wanted to illustrate what the screen could look like (more or less).

The rear thumb dials have been moved to the front in the form of dual split finger dials.

The dials work much like before, but with the added functionality of being able to be pressed inwards as buttons (much like the middle mouse scroll wheel on most modern mice these days). Making the dials act as pressable buttons would enable the photographer to switch between modes (which are set using function settings), on-the-fly, bypassing the ‘mode’ button found above the top shutter trigger completely if desired. For example, if the photographer maps the top dial to ‘Aperture’ mode and the bottom to ‘Program’, pressing the top dial in instantly puts the camera into aperture mode, while the bottom dial puts the camera into program mode.

(setting either dial to ‘Manual’ mode enables both dials to control manual settings via scrolling).

The unit is overall longer to house a larger battery to adequately power both the top and rear LCD screens, and would once again be built with the familiar ‘tank-like’ quality one can expect from Nikon. Below the Depth-of-preview button are dual function buttons for greater customizations and accessibility.

Well, there you have it folks. My quick and personal interpretation of the D3x (without getting into details like FF or sensor designs). I could care less what kind of specs are ‘beneath the hood’. It is the actual ‘hood’ itself I am interested in (as this is an exercise in visual design).

Hope you enjoy the images somewhat (no matter how far from the truth they may be). As I mentioned before, they are strictly for fun, and it was a joy working on them. I hope these images hold you guys off until the real deal is announced (your guess is about as good as mine).

T’ill then, try not to fuss about speculations or rumors. Grab your existing Nikon(s), get out there and enjoy yourselves!

Cheers,

NRG

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow