ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RaymondC
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
What would Galen Rowell do???
May 28, 2007

Hello all,

So lately I have taken a couple of Thom Hogan's book suggetions and purchased "Mountain Light" and "The Art of Adventure Photography". I have finished the latter, and have read the first chapter of "Mountain Light". As stated by Thom the books are very good, and quite humbling in all honesty when you read about how dedicated, accomplished, and talented Galen Rowell was. Truly inspiring.

As I am reading these books (they were published early 90's), Im am taking in all Rowell's thoughts on equipment, composition, etc. He uses neutral density filters quite a bit in landscapes and discusses quite a bit about composition. This raised a question in my mind. I have not read any recent text's, and have no idea if he ever shot with digital, nor do I know if an "HDR" techniques would have even been something that would have intersted him. But I wonder whether he would have used HDR to handle highly dynamic images, or preferred the neutral density filter instead? As I look at his images they are striking in how they call attention to alpenglow, and other unique types of light, and I wonder if the HDR technique would produce the same result. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting question, and wondered what the forum thought.....

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThomNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow