ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sirandar
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Review sites are a double edged sword.
May 15, 2007

Review sites are a double edged sword.

They can help consumers feel confident about thier purchases and thereby increase sales of top performing merchandise. A WIN-WIN for the consumer and well performing manufacturers. A big LOSE for companies that don't get good reviews.

This creates a huge amount of pressure on review sites. Fortunately or unfortunately, not all that many people bother to look at review sites because frankly there isn't many independant ones out there. Dpreview was one exception and I thank Phil for that.

The other edge of the review sword is that reviews can prevent people from buying anything at all. The Internet Movie Database is one clear example of this. It has saved me from many a mediocre movie and must be costing the movie industry billions. There must be gigantic pressure from the movie industry on IMDB and lately I have noticed that it is getting less and less reliable because there are more and more "paid for" reviews.

The IMDB will be the next to fall ..... and IMO I think it has already fallen.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow