Started May 15, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BruceEvans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291
Like?
Portrait Gurus
May 15, 2007

Composition is my weakest link in photography. All my portraits look like snapshots. I dutifully copied all the rules people have posted here but I'm not better. Lately, I've been trying to follow the examples of professional photographers such as those who photograph the man of the week for Time. This week, the Time photographer has confused me and I hope some of you can help me understand it.

On this week's cover of Time, there's a B&W picture of Mitt Romney. I know it must be a capital letter PORTRAIT because it's in black and whitel However, right off the bat I can see his eyes are placed and focussed in such a way there's no "seeing room" in front of them. He's looking right out of the frame.

Second, rather than having the "male portrait" with his head vertical, the photographer has his head tilted.

I think I'm safe in assuming the Time photographer knows what he's doing. More than that, the portrait looks great. Can anyone explain why he broke these two "rules" and why it's such a good portrait?

Or maybe I should just go back to photographing things instead of people.

Bruce

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow