Camera for single-(left only)-handed son - ideas?

Started May 7, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sailorman
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Camera for single-(left only)-handed son - ideas?
May 7, 2007

My 12 yr-old son quite enjoys taking photos - I have recently added a Fuji F30 to an old HP digital (and an even older Nikon F40 film-SLR).

He manages quite well taking photos (holding camera with the left hand, and using his 'stub' of a right hand to press the shutter).

It seems to me that the best bet would be for him to use a tri-pod.

However, he resists things which mark him out as different (no-one in the family uses a tri-pod) and the extra wieght/size of the tri-pod would make the camera less likely to 'take-along-on-the-off-chance'.

Unless he develops a major passion, a digital SLR seems excessive - I was thinking more in terms of a decent 'P&S' digital camera with an 'image-stabilisation' feature (the new Nikon P5000 seems to give a reasonable amount of control over the image and is not out of my price range).

But rather than generating recommendations on specific brands/models of camera, I am hoping for some insight into whether other people know of creative solutions

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow