Started May 3, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
johno
Contributing MemberPosts: 795
Like?
More and more pixels, what a pity.
May 3, 2007

I thought you might like to see the response to a query I put to Panasonic about the successor to the FZ50.

(I've removed my email address and put the emails in chronological order to save you reading bottom to top.)

Postcode :
Email :
Ref : CQI2654
Text :
As the owner of a Lumix FZ10, FZ20 and FZ30, I think I'm a faithful customer.
They are all superb but for the noise. I could see no point in buying the FZ50
as you just crammed yet more pixels onto the chip and made lots more noise. I
was disappointed. I am eagerly awaiting your July announcements to see if you
are listening to the people who buy your cameras, dumping the pixel race and
making what is easily within your grasp, the finest bridge camera in the world.
Please back off on the pixels, less is more. I would love to buy an FZ50 with a
less crowded chip in it and 2.8 throughout it's range. I will not buy more
noise and less speed. Will I be a happy chappy in July?

Best regards,
J.W.Orchard.

-- hide signature --

Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:08 PM
Subject: (Ticket number: BRAE-72SLUP )

ISSUE DESCRIPTION: EMAIL REQUEST: Subject - CONTACTUS INTERNET/DVD, VIDEO AND DIGITAL STILLS CAMERAS/DIGITAL STILLS CAMERA/PRE-SALES ENQUIRY / BROCHURE REQUEST/3/15/152
Land line :
Address :

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Orchard,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

The consumer market as a whole demands higher mega pixel cameras, which do produce more noise. As far as we are aware the replacement for the FZ50 will be a higher mega pixel model. I have passed your comments to our AV marketing department for their consideration in the development of future models.

I trust that this information has been of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone on 0844 844 3852, by fax on 01344 853213 or at customer.care@panasonic.co.uk and we will endeavour to assist.

Regards,
Customer Support

Thank you for your prompt response Ms Lambkin.

With respect, I believe your market for the FZ series is a niche of faithful customers who have stuck with this series of class leading cameras. The same views that I expressed to you are held by many, do review the Panasonic forum at Digital Photography Review. http://www.dpreview.com/

Disappointed, but always optimistic, I shall wait to be pleasantly surprised by your July announcement before defecting to the Sony DSC H7. Sony seem to be listening not to the masses who don't buy superzooms, but to those of us who do.

Yours sincerely,
John W Orchard.

--
John.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow