ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Garrison
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Truly horrific picture results...
Apr 26, 2007

Hi again.

I am looking for help. I went to my son's music concert at 2nd grade the other night. Took the a100, and the new-ish 50 mm f/1.7 I bought from EBay (I don't have an outboard flash, expected to be too far away from kids for pop up flash to be effective). I have the 18-70 kit lens, and a beercan, but thought the f1.7 apature was more important than zoom capability. After all, camera has such high resolution, I could crop and enlarge images if my son (Nick) was just a small component due to distance.

Well, to keep this short, every single picture I took turned out really, really bad. Here's a 100% crop of a typical image:

here's the full size jpeg with all exif info if you want to look

http://www.periship.com/images/ray/DSC02193.JPG

I tried every combination of focus settings, various f-stops, whole slew of different settings. No matter what I did, all pictures were out of focus to this degree. If you look at the original shot, you'll see there's NOTHING in the picture that IS in focus, so it's not like the camera was latching onto something I didn't intend to set the focus - there is simply nothing in focus in the image.

Is this because I can't hold the camera still? (SSS was on.) I was about 30 feet away, so can't believe shallow depth of field is the issue - and anyway, SOMETHING in the image would be sharp. Is it possible for a lens to simply be abused (this one came from EBay) to the point where it can't focus, or can't communicate with the camera correctly to focus?

Any suggestions appreciated...
--
Music is Art
Audio is Engineering

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow