Started Apr 16, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
faulknjc1
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
Success w/ Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (pics)
Apr 16, 2007

I was asked a couple weeks ago to shoot my friend's wife's sister's (wow, did you follow that?) engagement party Friday night. After getting some good advice from here in the forum I decided to invest in the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, thinking that hopefully it would give me a good range for indoor shots and, if I like it enough, become my new standard "walk around" lens, at least for indoor photography. Well, this lens did not disappoint.

I used it in concert with an SB-600 fitted with a Lumiquest Softbox diffuser, which I bounced off the ceiling for most shots - for the few outdoor shots I just shot straight on with the Softbox.

Now, these probably aren't the best examples if you're looking for sharpness, simply because the b&w conversion I used adds overall softness, but these were a few of my favorites - out of about 300 shots throughout the night I have just over 100 that I think are good enough to print (okay, still a low percentage, but I also shot a high percentage of candid shots that I decided later was not as good an idea since the rooms were crowded and really the best way to get good shots was to get people to look at the camera - and, heck, I'm still a beginner!) - so, anyway, here again, a couple of my favorites:

I would post more but I don't know this family ALL that well so I don't want to be inappropriate.

Anyway, suffice it to say, if you haven't given this Tamron lens some consideration, it may be worth it. It performed like a champ - very fast focus, even good low-light focus, great color rendition and sharpness - I just couldn't have been more pleased.

Cheers everyone,

Jason

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow