Color of Photos - monitor vs. Photo editing program

Started Apr 2, 2007 | Discussions thread
munchmeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
Re: Color of Photos - monitor vs. Photo editing program
In reply to munchmeister, Apr 4, 2007

Well I have just under 15 pages in the small reporter's notebook they gave me at the Nikon School Day Two, so I won't type all the notes here. Suffice it to say it was a jam packed day and well worth the $159 admission price, in my view. Reed Hoffman and Bill Durrence were the instructors

As for Color Management they spent some time explaining all the issues with gamut and the various schemes available from SRGB to Adobe RGB. Bottom line, there is more information in the wider gamut profile. This is Adobe RGB. They use the histogram to explain this point. If you have seen a smooth histogram compared to a "combed" effect, you see this loss of information/data. While your photos can stand some of this, as it gets worse and worse you get posterization and your image suffers. If you have more information to begin with when you do edits in NX, PS or any program, you have more to work with, less to loose and have a better chance of achieving that all important correct histogram. So they recommend using Adobe RGB 1998 and working your tools (computer, screen, etc.) around that. Another advantage to shooting RAW/NEF is that this can be changed later, at the computer.

Now printer profiles are another thing altogether and you want to use the profiles supplied with the printer AND the paper you are using in most cases.

As for working environment, they suggested graying your work area, your desktop and working on your photos at night if you have windows and sun shining in. Might be nice to work there, but not nice for effective color management. They mentioned the Huey calibrator but recommended the GretagMacBeth Eye One. This should be done every 2-4 weeks for a CRT monitor, longer with the newer screens.

As you might expect from the pros who work for Nikon, they said you should be using the "best in class" to get the best work from your digital captures. They discussed Photoshop and Capture NX and did the same edits in both programs to show their similarities, but a couple of the techniques were VERY quick and easy to do in NX using the Control Point technology, compared to Photoshop. And there was a good deal of time spent on Digital Asset Management and Workflow. They recommended Digital Mechanic and IView Media Pro, though each has its strenghts.

Welll, I'd better leave somethin' for the workshop

munchmeister's gear list:munchmeister's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow