Started Mar 31, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kiwi123
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Still can't decide... D40 vs D70s
Mar 31, 2007

Hi, I'm looking at buying my first DSLR and after looking in a few different shops I have got it down to these two. I have also looked at the Cannon 400D, Pentex K10d and Sony A100 but seem to keep coming back to the Nikons. I have searched this site for peoples opinions on each and have picked up alot of info but thought I would ask the question comparing just these two.

Whichever one I buy I will also purchase the 18-200mm VR lens as it will pretty much cover everything I need.

Origionally I was pretty set on the D40 but after talking to a few people who have the D70s they recommend it as it has more features (probably not that much of an issue with my current knowledge) better build quality and in general everyone with one seem to really like it. Also every shop with one have said it is a far better camera than the D40 - but that the D40 isn't bad. It may just be a sales pitch to get rid of old stock but their points seem valid.

I do not have any other lenses so lens compatibility with the D40 isn't an issue.

Like I said I am leaning towards the D40 kit with the 18-200 VR lens but for about the same money would the D70s body & 18-200 VR combo be a better choice?

Finally, I understand that the biggest factor in taking good photos is the person pushing the button not the camera but would really appreciate anyones views on the subject.

Cheers,

Phil

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow