Started Mar 30, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BostonMAAaron
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Bought Lens - Now What (Nikon D40X)
Mar 30, 2007

Originally this was to be a question about what camera to purchase for a Nikon 18-200 VR lens. This morning I saw that B&H photo had this lens in stock for $750 and I immediately bought it without having a Nikon camera to go with it. (please don't laugh) A couple of hours later I logged on again to see if these lenses were still in stock (apparently they have had them in stock for a while) but I noticed that the Nikon D40X was also listed in stock for $730. I wondered if both listings were in error and called. The sales person said that the Nikon D40X was indeed in stock (arrived yesterday) and I purchased it too.

Now have I done the right thing. I have no other Nikon equipment; no lenses, no Nikon DSLRs. I have a Canon S2 that I like for its reach but would like something faster to focus (active grandchildren whose parents are trained as photojournalists and are not afraid of large camers), something with less noise (this lens isn't as fast as the one the Canon S2 has, but there will be a couple of stop improvement), something to grow into, and something that isn't too heavy and bulky. I have had film SLRs before, so mirrors, F-stops and exposure are familiar to me.

Should I have waited for a review, bought the D80 or D40 or something else. They will ship on Sunday. Also, If you want a D40X you should know that B&H photo will be closed next week - orders placed before noon on Sunday will be shipped if product is available.

BostonAaron

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow