ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan
Dan
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
Maybe Ken Rockwell is right...
Mar 26, 2007

I have to admit, I joined the anti-Ken Rockwell group here on this forum a long time ago. I can understand why people pick up on him. His statements are a little bold and sometimes he seems out in left field. Lately though, I have started to come to a realization that will probably set some people up in arms, that Ken Rockwell isn't a bad guy, in fact his advice take it or leave it isn't far from the truth. I think the guy is just trying to save photographers time and money. I kinda resepect Ken for being more honest than most and maybe that is why he is an elitist. There are pros who will tell you that you can only make great shots with a Nikon 17-55 2.8 and will defend it to the death, and then there is Ken a pro who has alot of money and can afford any lens out there and yet he still prefers the el-cheap 18-55 DX kit lens (how many pros have that b*lls to even admit the 18-55 has at least good optics?). Think about it, what does Ken have to gain saying that he prefers the 18-55 over the 17-55 ? From an advertising perspective he isn't helping the companies that sponsor his site as he is telling people to choose the cheaper lens and if he is somehow connected to Nikon he isn't helping them either. Then of couse is the famous RAW vs JPEG thing which ignited a few flames, but look I also didn't buy this either, but after a few years of shooting RAW + JPEG I can honestly say there is some truth here as well. The problem is, I am finding more truths in Ken's claims than faults. I know because I found out the hard way; I purchased the more expensive equipment expecting 'magical' differences in quality and what I was looking for I just didn't find. The differences aren't night and day as people claim, yes there are great resons to own expensive glass (speed, build, etc) and yes there are great reasons to shoot RAW, but bottom line Ken was just being more 'honest' than most and attempting to save people time and money (and what does he gain by doing so?). I am not saying I believe everything he writes, afterall it's just his opinion that he is sharing and you have to understand that going in, but you have to give him credit, his assesment while unscientific and unpopular, is not far from the truth.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lolNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow