Started Mar 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Amconcept
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Advice on in house product photography.
Mar 22, 2007

This is my first post. Please excuse any miss placement of thoughts.

I am originally a filmmaker by profession but have been working full time while I develop some new projects. I have been asked to help oversee and look into the testing of doing photgraphy in-house. The company I work for specializes in home decor accessories and has many new products per season. We outsource all photography to a local studio. They do a phenomenal job. But the cost of growing business etc has resulted in a HUGE photography bill and there is pressure to cut costs.

Because, I have a photographic background I recognize that much of our stock photography (from placemats to small furniture) can be done in-house provided we hire a full or part-time photographer with a great salary and a good set-up. I think it is possible to find a good photographer at 40-50g (Canadian Dollar) a year and a set-up cost of aprox 10 000 to get going. This will still be plenty less than our cost for outsourcing a studio. We are talking 1200 images/year.

1) Am I crazy to think that this is an option - keeping in mind the back end work in color management/corrections.

2) if I had to set up a basic but extremely functional studio to take product photography with a 3-point lighting system, plain backdrop Camera and all what would I be looking at in terms of price.

I know this is very general so I only expect general thoughts but any details on good lighting kits and a good SLR and lense (without breaking the bank) will be apreciated.

I am a firm beleiver in hiring pros for professional work and if we do go the in-house route I will make sure we hire the same. But at a certain point there is a tipping of the balance. Studio work is fast but expensive and less flexible (keep in mind, packing shipping products to and from studio and a limited window of activity)

All photo work is for printed catalogue, and online use. Any poster or large format work, we plan to keep outsourcing.

Thanks for your time. Product photography is a specialized field and I want to be as acurate in my predictions as possible.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow