Started Mar 20, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick La Rocca
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
nikon and consumer grade lenses
Mar 20, 2007

I've been having this thought for awhile, so I thought I would get other peoples perspective on it. Let me start by saying I was a long time Nikon film shooter, but when I went digital I chose Canon. Since then I built up a nice Canon kit, and eventually did buy a D200 with which I use my old AIS lenses. The bottom line is I like my D200 better, but and here is the whole point, I honestly feel Canon is doing a better job of creating lenses for my needs. Since I got the D200 a year ago, Nikon has released several low end dSLRs, and a host of variable aperture consumer zooms. But not one single new prime, not one upgrade of an existing prime, not one fixed aperture zoom. Canon has done differently. They seem to mix it up more, with a consumer product followed by a pro product. But Nikon seems fixated on the consumer end. I read Tom Hogan's page a few months ago, and was really excited by the idea of a 50-135 f2.8 dx lens. Sure I could buy a Tokina, or Sigma, but I've gone down that road years ago and in the end its not worth it for me, but a Nikon one, I'd be all over that. What do they release? An update of yet another consumer zoom, that isn't all that different in capabilities than the last consumer telezoom they released?

Nikon is in the business of making money, I get that. The money is in the lower end of the market, I get that too. But I really do feel that on the balance sheet Canon glass is getting ahead of Nikon, there are exceptions so don't get too vicious saying what about the Nikon xxxx. Its too bad, I like my D200 better, but I find myself grabbing my 5D, simply because an autofocus 35 1.4 exists, or my 17-40 f4 is just a better lens than my Nikon dx ultrawide. I'm not happy shooting two brands of camera, and given the choice now, I prefer my Nikon body, but I keep waiting for them to make comittment to new pro glass, and it doesn't seem to happen. Frankly I am concerned that Canon has the resources to make pro glass and consumer glass, and Nikon doesn't, so it is concentrating on the lucrative end of the market, and leaving me stranded at the other end.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow