ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JP7
JP7
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
G7/ Owners of DSLR's Only Please
Mar 20, 2007

I've owned 4 Canon p& s cameras. The A80 I gave to my mother in law, the G6 I sold (I know, dumb, dumb, dumb), the SD700IS my wife lost (but gave me $400 for it out of guilt- so if you find the camera you can keep it).
I now have the A620.

I know the advantages a DSLR offers over a p&s (faster shutter, shallower dof, lower noise, etc). I love photography but I am still not ready for the bulk, weight and costs of a DSLR yet. To me right now a DSLR gives me the right to spend hundreds more on lenses, etc.
I have other habits, hobbies and expenses to pay for.

I have read every review of the G7 known to mankind- and read them again. I have bought HOUSES on less consideration than I am giving the G7. For the most part the reviews are good. To me, the camera since it first came out has been damned by what it doesn't have-RAW, vari- angle screen , fast lens, etc. I am beyond that.

I am going on the assumption DSLR owners are more discriminating and demanding of their secondary cameras and I ask those of you these questions:

1) In your mind, is the G7 the best p&s available (any brand) on the market today?

2) Does the G7 surprise you or are you disappointed in the performance of the camera?

3) I will keep ISO in the 80-100 range at all times, but I am hearing mixed signals on noise and nr smearing. How does the camera perform regarding these issues? This is the one and only concern that is stopping me from ordering the G7.

The answers I get from the very knowlegable, capable and experienced people on this forum will determine if I take the dive and guy or back down the steps.

Many thanks in advance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Me?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow