ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Richardson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,921
Like?
took my 500 f4 to Africa
Mar 17, 2007
-- hide signature --

Many thanks to those of you who advised me to take my 500 f4 to Africa. It was a huge asset. In response to to others who have posted threads asking for safari advice, I thought I would post some things I learned to help others planning a safari. So, for whatever it is worth, here are my thoughts. I took 2 cameras, a Canon 1Ds2 and a 5d. I put my 500 f4 on the 1Ds2 and used a 100-400 on my 5D. I also carried a 24-105 and 1.4x TC. I found it very worthwhile having 2 bodies ready so I could switch focal lengths without changing lenses. These 3 lenses were a fine combo. The TC was a big asset on the 500 too, especially when off roading was prohibited and long range shooting was unavoidable. Dust and contasty light are the 2 BIG problems. I carried garbage bags and covered my cameras as much as possible. I never had to clean my sensors in 3 weeks of shooting so it was effective. No solution for the light except we had some cloudy days and afternoon shooting which helped a lot. Shooting in RAW helped a great deal too. I used a rolled up blanket for a bean bag. Did not bring or miss a tripod. I brought bean bags but never used them. Nevertheless, I would bring one again and make sure it was big. Try to have as few people per vehicle as possible. Big lenses in vehicles magnify every movement. I used 2 Epson P4000's and downloaded to one and then a duplicate copy to the 2d one, worked fine. For the big glass, use a higher ISO and shutter priority to get as small an f stop as possible to increase DOF. If you see a predator stalking prey and it is closing in, focus on the prey, not the predator. The predator will be where the prey is eventually!! I blew a lion kill by focusing on the lion which then jumped out of the DOF--dang!! Things happen fast so prefocus. Bring a bunch of flashy ballpoint pens and tablets for the native kids, they will love them. Hope some of this helps. If you care to see a few photos, go to http://www.pbase.com/wfr2/image/75366730 and keep clicking NEXT. Hope you enjoy them. We went with Royal African Safaris (Tim Cornfield) and really enjoyed the experience. Bill

Bill Richardson
Barrington, IL (USA)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow