Started Mar 3, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
becksi
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
wedding photographer for a friend?
Mar 3, 2007

A good friend of mine asked me to be his wedding photographer. He is on a very low budget and is very reluctant to spend money on a professional wedding photographer. He thinks it's unreasonable to pay this much money on just pictures . He went out and looked for offers and after he got a quote of $250/hour + prints extra, he simply stopped looking and asked me if I would do it instead. Now, I consider myself as a passionate or ambitious amateur and photography to me is a hobby - not more and not less and I am quite happy with the results I produce on a frequent basis. But by no means would I measure my skills up to a pro wedding photographer. My strengths (and most of my work) are landscapes and scenery, still life and pictures of other "dead" objects. People or portraits I seldomly choose as my photo subjects.

Right when I asked me, I straight forward and honestly told him that I feel happy and honored that he would consider me good enough to photgraph his wedding, but that I didn't want to take that role due to several reasons. I told him about my lack of experience to photograph people - let alone weddings - and that I even though I don't mind taking a few snaps here and there during his wedding I didn't want to have to "work" during the event, but enjoy the day and celebration with him. In addition I let him know that my equipment wasn't quite suited to shoot a wedding (I have no flash other than the build in and a few other short comings I would feel necessary to have at least equipment wise the proper prerequisites).

He did not understand at all and said that he has no high standards and that the photos I would shoot would absolutely meet his expectations.

(I have to add that his perception and understanding of photography is quite limited and can be summed up by: photos = press button, and BIG camera = good pictures)

Now, even though I have said no openly and clearly several times, he does not leave it at that and keeps asking. It's becoming frustrating for me and almost to the point, that I am actually not starting to look forward to the wedding anymore. I mean what can I do to make him understand and realize that he should hire a professional photographer that meets his budget?

Despite his claims of having easy expectations, I just wouldn't want to be the person carrying the responsibility of such an important day, just like I wouldn't want them to go through their wedding album in 5, 10, 20 years and frown over the pictures. Or am I just being selfish myself?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow