Is Canon abandoning the folks in the middle?

Started Feb 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThinkingMan
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Is Canon abandoning the folks in the middle?
Feb 22, 2007

I know there's a lot of negativity floating around, between the "new camera haters" and those who are disappointed at the lack of a 40D, and I don't mean to add to it, but it seems like the absence of a 40D for PMA can't possibly be an intelligent purposeful decision.

I'm honestly wondering if canon is saying goodbye to the 0D line.

I think it's a bad idea to only have two lines, one for entry level and one for professionals. However I could see a marketing/finance guy think otherwise. If I were to guess at their logic I would think it somewhat like this: "The 0D line doesn't sell as well as the 00D line, neither does the D line, we'd be happier if we sold more in the D line, so what if we "buffed up" the 00D line (ie the 400D with its 10MP/dust reduction, servo on demand, etc.) and cut out the 0D line, then we can still capture the entry level shooter with a 00D and get them to bump up to the D line, if they can't afford the 1D series they'll buy the 5D series.

The lack of a new EF-S line but the emergence of a new wide-angle zoom makes me think that canon might be pushing for folks to adopt the full-frame cameras. And there have been rumors of an upgraded 5D. And as much as I love my 30D, it's only a few minor (yes i said minor) features away from the 20D, was it created just to keep the 0D line in the rat race until the 5D series could take its place?

The lack of either a 30D or 5D predecessor for PMA makes me think that canon might be thinking of heading in a different direction, they can't possibly be too stupid to be ignoring the compeition for Nikon, Pentax, etc.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow