Started Feb 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mitchall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789
Like?
When I hear "IQ" I reach for my gun
Feb 22, 2007

What gets me is that people considering small sensor cameras like the Leica D-Lux 3 (or LX2) and the Ricoh GR-D usally seem to be obsessed with "image quality": most people these days don't want to see any grain at all, even at ISO 400 or 800, and some even at 1600. They seem to want these cameras to draw the same way as cameras with much larger sensors.

Looking at results from the M8 on the web and reading Sean Reid's reviews, it seems to me that pictures from this cameras resemble medium format film in their gradation and lack of grain. One cannot, at least at this stage of sensor development, expect small sensor cameras to have this look at all. Now, my own preference stems from shooting (until last July) with an M6 and Tri-X and HP5: plenty of grain, whose size and character depended on the developer and contrast, with Rodinal giving particularly large grain. But I liked the look of the 35mm aesthetic, which gave a "bite" to the image that medium format film didn't have, clearly a matter of taste.

This is why I now use the D-Lux 3 and the GR-D. These small sensor cameras represent a new type of format, as Sean Reid has also written, characterized by graininess at higher ISOs and huge depth of field: a new type of camera format the way the first Leicas were a new type format when first introduced. In my view, the image quality of these cameras, particulalrly in terms of grain, should be compared to that of 35mm film, not to that of larger sensor digital cameras. And whether you like the way these cameras draw or not is really an aesthetic choice. If you don't, you'd better get a larger sensor camera. (I should hasten to add that for many professional applications the medium format look is necassary, for which a larger sensor camera is indeed required.)

—MItch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow