Started Feb 16, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Redcrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
NEC 2070 LCD calibration woes
Feb 16, 2007

I can't get a new NEC2070 calibrated. At least I think I can't. Looking for opinions and advice. Please bear with a long post.

I've been 5 days calibrating a new NEC2070 on a new Windows XP system. Started with an old, original model ColorVision Sypder. Gave up and bought a new GreyTag Eye One Display 2.

I'm comparing results side-by-side to my old system monitor, and to prints of the images displayed. Old system has a Samsung 172t calibrated with the old Spyder. Old system has matched prints very well in color, tone, and contrast.

The new NEC2070 system is beautiful, but... it does not visibly match the old system or the prints. NEC2070 color is either too red or too yellow, depending on which of dozens of calibrations I use. With the Eye One calibrations I trust the most, color is too yellow. Black hair girls have brown hair. Greytag color chart images look more yellow too.

But of more concern to me is tone and contrast. The NEC2070 calibrates brighter and lower in contrast. Shadow details are great, but far better than can possibly be printed. If I add a levels adjustment in Photoshop and lower the gamma (middle slider) to 0.85 AND add a small s-curve, the image tone and contrast starts matching the old monitor and prints.

The Eye One calibration I'm using was made with "Native" color mode on the NEC2070. The hardware Brightness setting came out at 36%, the contrast came out 52.5%. The Eye One target luminance was 120, but the summary window said current was 129.5.

I've trained my eye over 4 years on the old system for the tone and contrast I want, with good confidence that prints will match. I never had to "compensate" the image for printing. With this new system, I'm worried my trained eye will be fooled into making images too dark and contrasty.

What to do, what to do? Do newer LCDs have a dynamic range that is much greater than printers. Do I have to re-train my eye and/or start making two different versions of each image, one for dislay, one for print?

Or if you want your monitor to match prints, are you better off getting one with much less capability?

Also, a new question comes to mind. Does the graphic card make any difference in monitor calibration. Nothing I've read would indicate that. People who test and review monitors and calibrators never mention the graphic card used. But I'm starting to wonder?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow