Started Feb 11, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brianz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527
Like?
30D vs 20D - comparisons after first big shoot
Feb 11, 2007

This was my first hardcore shooting weekend with the 30D, down here in the Everglades. I had to upgrade from the 20D since the 20D had slowly deteriorated to the point of being unusable after I got pounded by a big ocean wave two years ago.

Everybody's read about the main differences between the two models, but here's my summary of what I found important and useful in the upgrade. Keep in mind that I shoot entirely wildlife, so my opinion may not matter to others who have different goals.

• No annoying folders on the flash card - makes transfers WAY easier.

• Shows the selected focus point in the in-camera thumbnail, in the histogram viewing mode. Great for seeing how well you did with focusing on the eye and rapidly reassigning focus points, as well as highlighting the differences in your tactics (e.g. point selection vs focus/recompose).

• Remembers which picture you were on when you're reviewing your images - so if you accidentally exit the review, you just hit "play" again and it goes straight to where you left off. Very convenient.

I didn't know any of those things had changed in the 30D - very pleasant surprise.

As for the other stuff - the bigger RAW buffer is awesome, and the spot meter didn't get much use but I'm sure I'll start using it more. Overall, I'm kind of glad the 20D kicked the bucket.. this is a nice ugprade.
--
Wildlife galleries
http://www.pbase.com/zeiler/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow