Started Feb 9, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,633
Like?
Scanning slides...any thoughts?
Feb 9, 2007

I have about 5,000 slides in storage. I'm thinking that I could probably narrow that population down to about 1,000 "keepers" for scanning.

I am considering purchasing a Nikon Super Coolscan V scanner to accomplish this task. However, a friend recently referred me to this website:

http://cjstechnologies.com/Slides_Photos/Slides_Photos_Transfer.htm#Pricing

They offer scans of 4000 dpi Nikon scans for just 33 cents per slide. For an additional 38 cents, they will scan the slide as a TIFF.

I'm figuring that if I outsourced this job, I would probably select 200 landscape slides for TIFF and the remaining 800 for the high quality jpeg.

The total cost of outsourcing the job would be just over $400. The total cost of purchasing this particular scanner is about $1,000---not to mention the learning curve and the massive amount of time the scanning will take.

I plan to do some post processing of the images regardless of the method I choose.

Does anyone have any experience with outsourcing scanning? I'm leaning towards that option, but want to make sure that I'm considering everything. By the way, I won't have any use for the scanner once this project is done.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow