Started Feb 5, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dean Cron
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Looking for opinions on a D80 setup
Feb 5, 2007

So after several years of fighting the urge to move to DSLR, I'm finally getting rid of my fixed-lens setup (currently a Sony DSC-F828) and moving up. At this point, here is the initial setup I'm looking at buying:

D80 with 18-135mm kit lens & Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

One of my primary goals is to ensure that I get a lens that can handle shooting moving targets in low light. My daughter is a cheerleader, and sometimes the gyms they compete in aren't very well lit. While I enjoyed using the F828 for most things, high speed low light shots are not one of its strengths. I'd originally been looking at the D80 with the 18-200mm VR lens, but that doesn't look like it'll handle the cheer shots all that well based on the reviews I've been reading, and at this point, by budget won't permit both the 18-200mm VR and a second lens for the low light stuff at this point

So I really have two questions

1. Is the kit lens going to be at least as good as the fixed lens on the F828 for normal every day shots?

2. Is the 50mm f/1.4D a good lens for the indoor sports shots, or is there something better suited for my purpose?

Thanks in advance!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow