Started Jan 30, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Howard S Passman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
Looking for Quantum Turbo Compact users
Jan 30, 2007

I am looking for another solution to power the SB-800 during night time football games. Currently I am using the Nikon SD-8A power pack, which works fine, but is a bit slow recycling. It's not possible to get 3 shot bursts at full power, which is what I need. My set up is D200, 300mm f/2.8, SB-800 with Better Beamer and the SD-8A. This allows me a very high shutter speed.

What I am trying is the Quantum Turbo Compact . It attaches to the bottom of the camera (without the MB-D200) and powers the SB-800 and the D200 if necessary at the same time. The recycling time is excellent because it uses the high voltage port on the SB-800. Here's my concern.

I wrote Quantum and they said that you need to put alkaline batteries in the SB-800. They specifically do not recommend NiMH batteries. Now I'm trying to figure out why I bought a rechargeable pack, but still have to carry alkaline batteries. Also, does anyone have experience as to how liong the alkalines will last and how you know when to change them?

Anyone using the Turbo Compact?

Thanks in advance,

Howard

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow