Your advice sought on use of new 105 VR (handheld)

Started Jan 30, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,710
Like?
Your advice sought on use of new 105 VR (handheld)
Jan 30, 2007

I am enjoying learning about what this fine optic can do in macro and portraits situations. Took my kids to the local aquarium to try out the lens and soon discover that either I may be pushing the limits of even this fine glass or maybe I could pick up a few pointers from folks more seasoned than I am in these matters.

The aquarium is very dimly lit and in parts the only light came from behind the glass. What I wanted to do was to capture some sharp images of seahorses that were moving about. I had ISO mainly at 400. Tried both shutter and aperture priority. I had more keepers in the first mode which I should expect I guess. I shot pretty much close to maximum aperture around 3 and a bit, concerned with the fine DOF but also wanting to get as much light as possible.

My issues are two folds. Firstly, I could not achieve enough DOF with the lens given the lighting condition. Secondly, I could not get shutter speed high enough to freeze a damn thing despite pushing the ISO on the D2X to %$#@. (As I said lighting was "challenging")

All opinions welcomed .... and especially appreciated from those using the same lens on a D2X body. I post a few images. All have been USM and sharpened. Look past that please. And in case you are wondering, the lens focuses spot on. Thank you everyone, in advance. It is late in Melbourne Australia so I will probably check back tomorrow.

helpppppppppp !

Compare to say this one with the Sigma 30mm (unfair I know, given the shorter FL)

David aka Much2Learn

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow