1st time backup wedding photog. needs advice...

Started Jan 29, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cycle61
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550
Like?
1st time backup wedding photog. needs advice...
Jan 29, 2007

I'm going to be shooting my first wedding with a local pro soon, I've been doing some PP work for her over the last few months, and I offered to shoot her next wedding as a backup. My concerns are, in order:

1) Not having a negative impact overall. I have some experience (not much) and I wouldn't dare take on a wedding by myself yet.

2) Assisting her in situations where one photographer may come up short. What are some key moments where an assistant is valuable to the primary?

3) Learning as much as possible, I'm hoping to someday move into this field myself.

4) Equipment. Unfortunately, the primary is a Canon shooter and I'm all Nikon. (not taking sides, but we can't share lenses, bodies, cards, flash...pretty much anything.) I don't have money now for a backup body, etc, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be standing there going "sorry, my camera's down!"

Any advice along any of these four issues would be great. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

---Inset witty platitude here---

See profile for an itemized list of where my disposable income will go for the rest of the decade!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow