Started Jan 22, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jande9
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
310 Quick Start, or lack of
Jan 22, 2007

I bought my Dad a Kodak easyShare 310 bundled with the printer dock. He doesn't have a computer so I thought this would be the easiest way for him to get into digital photography.

He is elderly, but very intelligent, and an experienced 35mm photographer. He lives in a different city so he was kind of on his own in learning about the camera, though I tried to coach him over the phone, using the manuals on the web.

This is an entry level camera so I thought it would be ideal for him, as he is a bit nervous about digital. Being Kodak, I assumed the manual would be great.

I found the "Getting Started" part of the manual to be very poor. The only thing that was easy was the part about putting on the wrist strap.

Putting in the battery was way too complicated. To find out what battery he had, and how to charge it, I needed to look deeply into both his camera and his printer manual. That info should be on page one, clearly displayed.

The next page showed him how to put in the memory card. They said it should be formatted, with no explanation what that was or how to do it. He had no idea what that meant so that also stopped him in his tracks.

Finally, over the phone I was able to show him how to turn on the camera, take a few pictures, go back and look at them, and erase the ones he didn't like. After that, he was fine.

The 310 is truly an entry level camera, so it should have a getting started section that is bullet proof, so that someone with no previous knowledge of digital photography can get the basic info he needs to use his new camera. It should have a real teaching component to it.

The final straw was the fact that there are errors in the manual. For instance, the buttons it says you are supposed to press for zoom are wrong. That flumoxed him for another half hour. Also, the markings and functions of the on/off dial are different on the camera and the manual.

I have a Z730, a much more complicated camera, and the manual is way better.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow