ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skwillt
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Which prime lens to choose?
Jan 19, 2007

Hello to you all,

I have been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post.

I am going to get an E-400 with both kit lenses, but I also want a prime lens for small depth of field (mainly in portrait shots) and as a small walk around lens.

Obviously, there are 4 choices: 35/3.5, 50/2, Sigma 30/1.4, Leica 25/1.4

Maximum sharpness is not so important, so I would not pay extra for the Leica over the Sigma.

I find the 50 a bit too long for a walk-around lens, the Sigma a bit too heavy and the 3.5 of the 35 a bit too slow. So there is no favourite yet. The macro ability of the Zuikos would be a nice feature, but is no must-have.

So, has anybody made this choice before? What would you recommend? Is the 3.5 of the 35 fast enough for shallow depth of field in portrait shots? Perhaps someone can post some pictures made wide-open with any of the lenses mentioned. I tried the forum search, but found only few shots made with the 35.

Thanks for your help,
Thomas D.

skwillt's gear list:skwillt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow