Started Jan 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Casey Cheung
Contributing MemberPosts: 991
Like?
D2x HSC crop and shutter speed question
Jan 17, 2007

Sorry if this has been asked before. I need advice on this from experienced users please.

On my D2x with a Nikon 28-70 f2.8 lens, if I switch to HSC crop mode, should I also change the shutter speed to a faster setting to help stop motion blur? I'm referring to motion blur either from the subject and/or camera shake.

I had discovered this while shooting the AVN convention in Vegas. With my 28-70 lens, sometimes the action was farther away on a stage, hence I'd switch to HSC mode to get an effective 140mm crop. Normally with the SB800 flash on, the camera would default to 1/60 sec, and I would usually shoot on aperture priority around f4 to f5.6.

I noticed that with HSC crop on, when I check the image on the LCD screen magnified, there was noticeable motion blur. So to compensate for this, I'd switch to Manual exposure at 1/160 sec at around f4. The 1/160 sec faster shutter speed (with flash on) worked perfectly, and I could then see that motion was stopped effectively. By the way, it was 2 girls wrestling on stage that I was shooting with the motion blur at 1/60th sec.

Another issue I encountered was trying to switch to Shutter priority mode on my D2x, and changing the dial for a faster shutter speed. I must have some wrong setting somewhere, because I simply could not change the shutter speed. Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong here? I can change the dial just fine on Aperture priority, but not change the dial for Shutter priority. That's why I switched to Manual mode instead which worked fine.

Thanks, Casey

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow