Started Jan 15, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Huck BB62
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Processing RAW from the D80 egads!
Jan 15, 2007

I've only got the software that came with the camera, and undoubtably I'm doing something wrong. I shot several dozen RAW pics of the McNaught comet. Transporting them from the software to a folder on my hard drive, it crunched the computer hard! I'm running a 3.2 dual processor machine and I've never seen anything push it this hard. Watching the task manager, it maxes it out continuously until each picture is converted to JPEG and transferred to the folder.

A couple of things:

There's no noise filtering on the software. Is the only way for noise reduction is to shoot in JPEG?

Does Capture NX do a better job and why isn't it included in the software? I presume it's a revenue generator to only include the trial version.

What's the "best" way to process the pictures from the D80? I shot the comet at RAW, but the noise is pronounced. I left the ISO at 100 and utilized a long exposure. I'd like to fix them. I notice quite a few people using Photoshop CS, I'd like to have a "do all" program.

Thanks in advance for anyone's time on this.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow